Story of the Lladró Statuette
In 1953, Juan, José, and Vicente Lladró made their first creations inspired by an experimental vocation in their home in Almássera (Valencia), Spain. By 1955, they were making sculptures in which a clear influence of the trends of the XVIII century could be observed. These pieces evoked the works of former porcelain artists such as Meissen, Sèrves, and Capodimonte.
In 1958, the Lladró brothers decided to dedicate themselves exclusively to their own works and transferred their small company to a warehouse in the neighboring town of Tavernes Blanques.
The brothers introduced innovations not only in the design and style of the figurines but also in the firing techniques, reducing the three-layer firing to a one-layer process. One-firing is an innovative method which creates the crystalline finish and the pastel tonalities typical of Lladró works.
In 1998, the first Don Quijote committee selected the exquisite figurine of Don Quijote as the official award for this premier event. The Don Quijote Lladró figurine symbolizes the elegance, uniqueness, passion, and dedication of the outstanding individuals that have the honor of being recognized with this splendid award.